With a sluggish real estate market, are you staying in your existing home longer than you anticipated a couple of years ago? If so, take heart, you’re not alone. Many homeowners across the country are realizing that their current home may be called home for a while and thoughts of moving to a dream house placed on indefinite hold.
Take comfort knowing that now is a great time to invest in your existing home. It’s remodel time, a time to renovate your space to make it tailor-made for you, your family and all the activities that take place in your home.
And, the kitchen is a great place to start.
I can think of no other investment that offers a good ROI (return on investment) and offers instant gratification; the joy of using a well designed and functional space immediately. Smiles are free when you are truly enjoying your new kitchen.
A common quote from homeowners who have gone through a kitchen remodel process is this:
“ Why did I wait so long? I should have done this earlier, so I could be enjoying the space sooner!”
Why wait any longer? The SEN Design Group, a national consortium of independent kitchen and bath professionals offers several real advantages to remodel now.
1. Weak Resale Market: Houses for sale are sitting on the market longer and prices are depressed. As a result it may be a while to find a buyer for your home at a price you want or need. So, instead of sulking, survey your current space and call a kitchen design professional to partner with you on a new project.
2. Lower Labor Costs: Labor sources are readily available from all trades involved in the remodeling process. In most instances homeowners are seeing labor cost reductions in the 10-25% range compared to several years ago.
3. Wider Selection: The kitchen industry has become fashion oriented and today there is a bevy of products to chose from designed to suit any style or taste.
4. Lower Product Prices: As a member of a national buying group, we have access to preferred vendors and their products at very competitive prices. In addition, many cabinet manufacturers desire to keep their skilled labor force in tact and are offering substantial discounts to accomplish that.
5. More Responsive Service: It wasn’t that long ago people complained about not being able to schedule a project in a timely fashion. Homeowners were placed on a waiting list, at the mercy of the contractor, not fully knowing when their project would begin. Today you can schedule a project on your terms, handled by professionals delivering first class service.
6. Lower Borrowing Costs: There are more dollars available for remodeling at attractive rates than ever before. Financing a kitchen project may never be cheaper.
7. Updated Kitchens (or Baths) Sell Homes: It’s the kitchen that makes the rest of the house shine. When the real estate markets rebounds, your chances of selling your home quickly and at top dollar are excellent when the kitchen has been remodeled.
Start dancing in the kitchen! Your dream home may be closer than you think, in fact with a little remodeling you may already be living in it.